Thursday, September 28, 2017

This won't be a popular post by some!

I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church environment. I've been to more church in my first 20 years of life than most people go to in their entire lifetime. I've been to A LOT of churches over the years. I've heard 100's of preachers. 

The past 10-15 years I've really struggled with the IFB church. Some of the most judgmental people I've ever met attend an IFB church. Pastors, deacons and staff members and their spouses are the most hateful, judgmental, and deceptive people out there. There are VERY few that aren't that way. 

Now that I'm a mom I've REALLY questioned if I want to raise my child in this environment. I've hated the shame I've been made to feel over the years. I was NEVER good enough and NEVER felt like I belonged. I was always made to feel like an outcast. Even when I "followed" all the "rules" I was still the bad Christian. I don't want my child to ever feel that way. I want him to have a healthy relationship with church and God. I don't want him to worry God will kill him if he doesn't become a missionary or a pastor. He can actually be a good Christian man one day AND be a garbage man or a fireman if that's what he chooses. If he misses a church service he isn't a bad person. 

I just REALLY am sick of this shame driven church environment. Pastors make up rules that people must live by. When those rules aren't followed then they have no time for you.  I'm EXTREMELY sick of sexual things being covered up in the church. People are shipped out from one place to a new place. That is total bullshit!  

Jesus loved all people. He hung out with all people. He did not stay away from people who didn't believe like him or attend his church. If you are in an IFB environment and you don't live, do or think like them then IFB people have NO time for you. I have 30+ years of experience with this.  It's not a mad up thing. It's real and terrible! 

If a church has a band, people come in shorts, they have screens, or whatever the case if they are taught to get saved, feel loved and treat people well that is going to be the place for us. 

I heard one of the best messages of my entire life over the weekend. It was by Robert Morris at Gateway Church in Texas about The Priority of People. HERE is the link. Take the 30 minutes and listen to this amazing message! 

I've thought about writing a post like this for a long time. I feel I have a lot more to say about it the cultish environment of the IFB church. I just can't do the made up rules, judging and shaming people anymore just because they don't believe and think just like me. I know this isn't going to be a popular post by a lot of people I know. I might actually have some people who will no longer talk to me, unfriend me on social media and who knows what else. 

1 comments :

EL said...

I myself grew up in an Independent Fundamental Bible Baptist Church in California. I've had the same experience which is why it took me awhile to get back into church after turning 18. You should feel the Spirit of the Lord moving in a church and when it's not they've lost sight of the Lord and HIS mission.Pray about it and let the Lord lead you and He'll direct your path. He has mine. :)