Thursday, October 1, 2015

Pumping Adventures are Ending.....

The time has come it is time to put the pump away. I am happy that we made it a full year nursing. It was a HUGE struggle back in the beginning. I never thought I would make it 2 months let alone a full year.  I had more clogged ducts than I care to even remember. I was persistent and determined to nurse.

When I returned to work last year in December I pumped 3 times a day at work. I found a schedule that worked for me. I tried to pump about every 2.5-3 hours while I was in the office. George had formula a few times in the first 5 weeks of his life. Honestly he didn't need it. I should have just used my freezer stash I was accumulating. I was juggling so much back then formula was how we made it during some stressful times. It doesn't really even matter in the grand scheme of things. He is a healthy little boy.

I have decided I am going to continue nursing when I am with George until we decide we are done. My goal was to get to a year. I made it to a year, so my next goal is to make it until after we go on vacation. It will be easier to nurse him than lugging milk through the airports.

I put my pump away at work right after George turned 1. I was pumping a couple days a week at home until past week. I didn't want to deal with clogged ducts again, so I tried to slow the pumping down. I still have some milk in the freezer, so I am starting to use that when I send bottles to the nanny.

I still believe giving birth is easier in the beginning than nursing. You go through a few days of labor and it's over. Nursing lasts for weeks. You are tired, baby is hungry, tears are shed by all, trying to get them to latch, over production of milk....oh lordie let me stop before I have a moment.


0 comments :