Monday, January 13, 2014

Split Pea Soup

What does someone make with so much leftover ham - ham sandwiches, potatoes & ham soup, fried ham & eggs. I haven't had split pea soup in years. One of my friends mentioned it and my cravings started! Where to find a good split pea soup recipe. I read the back of the split pea package, numerous recipes, but in the end decided to make up my own. 

1 cup split peas
3 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of ham pieces
1 cup of carrots
1/2 onion
1 tsp thyme
2 garlic cloves
1 cup milk

Dump everything except the milk into a crock pot to cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Put the milk in the crock pot for the last 30 minutes. I put baby carrots in the crock pot, let them cook whole, fished them out, puree them in my blender with a little milk and dumped it all back in. Perfection! I read some recipes that said they pureed the entire soup. I wanted the chunks of ham, so that wouldn't work for me. The soup turned out really creamy. 


0 comments :