Friday, April 22, 2016

Motherhood Pressure

Recently I had a conversation with a friend that has grown kids. I mentioned how George loves his bottle and I am not sure when I plan to get rid of it. I said he LOVES it! When he sees a bottle with milk he gets soooo happy. The other night he was laughing, sticking out his tongue and dancing around. He loves for his bottle is like my love for my morning cup of coffee. 

My friend said who cares if he has a bottle. She mentioned how some of her friends when her kids were small all compared when kids walked, gave up bottles, potty trained etc. She said no one ever mentions those things now. Once kids grow up no one ever asks, so when did you stop drinking a bottle, how old were you when you started using the toilet, how many times did it take you to pass your drivers license. She said my kids are functioning adults even though I had to bribe some of them with M&M's to use the toilet. We had a good laugh about it. 

I was talking to a mom who has a son a couple months younger than George at a mommy & me class. People were commenting on how small he is and how their granddaughter was a lot bigger than him but she was younger. ::::inserteyeroll:::: Who cares! I told her he isn't small. He is a good size. Then I told her how small George was when he was born and at 1 years old. She opened up then and started talking. She was such a nice person just trying her best to raise her kid the best way she knows how too. 

It made me really think how much pressure we put on ourselves and our kids. Why are we doing this? Not only are we putting pressure on ourselves and our kids, but on other mothers and children. How boring would this world be if we all did things the same and at the same time. We would have a cookie cutter world which would be totally boring. 

I have been one to judge other moms. I recently read something that opened my eyes. It mentioned how a mom might be putting on an older child shoes because they have autism or had a rough day. At that moment the mom is helping the child cope with whatever they are dealing with. I am not even putting it as good as the person who wrote the article. It made me stop and think. Instead of giving a mom the side eye at the park the other day who was putting her daughter about 8 or 9 shoes on her I just smiled. Maybe she is coddling that child, but guess what that is NONE of my business. I have my own child to raise. And if you don't have a child to raise keep your damn opinions to yourself. lol One day you will have a child and see things totally different or you won't have a kid and will continue to know everything. 

I love being a mom more than anything in this world. What I do not love is dealing with some of the other mothers in this world. 

0 comments :