Monday, September 23, 2013

Eggplant Parmigiana Alla Scalini's

I have found one of the best eggplant recipes EVER! I could eat this on a weekly basis it is sooooo yummy! We receive eggplant in our weekly fruit & veggie boxes. I have used eggplant in stir fry, roasted it, baked it, but I haven't ever been crazy about it. My cousin was raving about this recipe on Facebook, so I decided to try it.


Eggplant Parmigiana Alla Scalini's

Ingredients:
• 3 medium sized eggplants 
• 1 cup flour 
• 6 eggs, beaten 
• 4 cups fine Italian bread crumbs, seasoned 
• Olive oil for sautéing 
• 8 cups of marinara sauce 
• 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese 
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 1/2 pounds of mozzarella cheese, shredded
• 2 cups of ricotta cheese

Directions:
1. Slice the eggplant into ¼-inch thick slices. I did not peel the eggplant because the skin contains the most vitamins. I actually liked the skin.  

2. I skipped this step and everything turned out fine. 
Place the eggplant slices on a layer of paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt, then cover with another layer of paper towels and hold it down with something heavy to drain the excess moisture. Let them sit for about an hour. 

3. I sprinkled salt and flour over about 10 pieces at a time, dip each piece in beaten eggs and coated with breadcrumbs. 

4. Sauté in preheated olive oil on both sides until golden brown. 

5. In baking dish, alternate layers of marinara sauce (I used homemade canned sauce), eggplant slices, ricotta, parmesan and Romano cheeses, until you fill the baking dish, about 1/8 inch from the top. Cover with shredded mozzarella cheese, and bake for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.



0 comments :