Friday, April 5, 2013

Update on Cancer

It has been 11 Fridays or 2 months and 2 weeks since surgery. Every Friday I count as another victory week since surgery. The 18th of each month and every Friday has a whole new meaning since surgery.

I was very concerned after surgery my neck would never return to normal. The size of my neck was awful! I cried because of how awful it looked. I am happy to report it is all back to normal. My neck is actually smaller with a different shape than before surgery. The swollen portion under my chin is pretty much gone too. I don't know if it will go down anymore at this point. 

This picture was taken 2 months after surgery. My scar is actually healing very nice. The scar doesn't look raised anymore, but you can feel a slight raise. I have been putting cream on it twice a day to help it heal. So far so good. 

Top left picture: 1 week after surgery
Top right picture: 2 weeks after surgery
Bottom left picture: 6 weeks after surgery
Bottom right picture: 9 weeks after surgery

Lacey was so sweet and donated money to Relay for Life in my name as a cancer survivor. The bags will line the track where people will walk. I asked her to take a picture of the track lite up in June. When I saw the bag I got all teary eyed. 

Three weeks ago I had my follow up blood work done post surgery. I was so very nervous for this blood work because it would show if my tumor level markers were going down or up. If they were going down that would mean no cancer was growing. If the numbers were going up there could be cancer growing. 

My doctor told me not to expect much until 6 months post surgery. I have really been trying to eat as many raw veggies and praying the numbers would go down. I was hoping all the juicing and eating raw veggies would really help. Well I am happy to report that I believe God answered all our prayers. Both of the levels have gone down significantly!!! One of the levels is back at normal and the other is getting there. I am hoping by the 6 month blood tests everything is back to normal. 

I am now on the search for a doctor that has experience with Medullary Thyroid Cancer. I found a doctor in San Francisco. I called there last week to find out he is retired. I am now talking with a cancer center and other MTC people to see if I can find someone in CA. My goal is to find a MTC doctor within the next 2 years. 

Unfortunately one of the side effects from MTC is memory loss. I noticed about a year ago I couldn't concentrate very well. Other MTC people have confirmed it is a very normal thing. I am working on trying to keep my mind sharp. Instead of forgetting things I write them down the moment I think of them or I have been emailing myself when I think of work stuff from home. 
Life after cancer can be rough at times. It is a lot to deal with and process. I have to take it one day at a time and even one day at a time is hard. Luckily I am back to work and that is keeping my mind busy most of the day. No one prepares you for the aftermath of cancer and how it will affect you going forward. 


Bobbin Aubins said...

My husband is almost 1 year out from his surgery and treatment so Papilary Thyroid cancer. Glad your numbers are leveling out!