Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Calorie Counting

Calorie counting.....possibly the most dreaded thing to count.  In the past year I have learned just how important is to count calories. I have heard for years that it is important and why we need to count calories, but it just didn't click.  In the past year a light bulb went off and it FINALLY clicked. It clicked that in order to lose weight you have to burn calories and watch the calories you consume. It is a little embarrassing to admit it took 30 years for this to click.

I have been listening to Jillian Michael's Podcasts recently. Here is what Jillian said to do to figure out how many calories you should be consuming each day. Use a BMR Calculator and enter your data. How active are you during the day? Select your daily activity (do not include exercise):

1.1 - sit behind a desk all day
1.2 - salesman on your feet some of the day
1.3 - super active
1.4 - construction worker

Take your BMR multiply it by your daily activity = calories to intake each day to maintain your current weight.

example - BMR
Height - 5'5
Weight - 150
Age - 30
Female
= 1472

1472 BMR x 1.2 = 1766.4 calories to take in each day

If you want to lose weight you will need to each about 500 calories AND count your calories. This is currently what I am doing. I am counting calories and trying to burn 500 calories a day by working out. When I really watch what I eat I see the weight come off. I also have to make smart choices. I try to avoid too many carbs, pick fruits and veggies instead of chips or chocolate.

0 comments :