Monday, June 27, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

Last summer I made homemade powder laundry soap.  It didn't turn out very well and I haven't tried it again.  I didn't like it because after mixing & mixing & mixing it still stuck together.  I was able to take chunks off & use it.  I thought it did clean my laundry very well, but I didn't like the fact it stuck together.  I also am not a fan of powder laundry soap.  Every time I buy powder laundry soap I end up with white streaks across my clothes, so I stick to liquid now.

This past weekend my mom called to say she had bought all the stuff to make liquid homemade laundry soap.  I have a recipe saved on my computer to make it for 6+ months, but never got around to doing it.  The thought of grating a whole bar of soap just sounded like too much trouble.  So off to the store I go to spend $7-10 bucks a bottle for soap. 

I needed laundry soap this weekend and I keep forgetting to buy it when I went out.  This was a sign!  It was time to try the soap!  BUT I wasn't going to try to make it until how I heard my moms turned out. Why be the guinea pig when someone else already volunteers. :)

I was VERY pleased to read my moms blog on Sunday to see her soap turned out GREAT!  Not only did she like how it turned out, but she loved how it washed clothes.

Now it was my turn!  I only had a part of a soap bar and I was NOT going to the store to buy one more thing this weekend!  I decided to cut my moms recipe in half & try it out.  It wasn't so bad to grate the bar of soap.  I made enough to fill 3/4 of my laundry soap bottle...PERFECT!  I didn't want any extra that wouldn't fit in my bottle. I haven't tried it yet, but if mom likes it I am sure I will like it!

My mom has a great tutorial along with the recipe on her blog.  Check it out HERE!


1 comments :

sfranks said...

I have been using the Duggar recipe for homemade soap for the past year and love it! I bought a 5 gal bucket from Lowe's and just use that. I have an old soap container that I fill up when it gets empty.

Yeah, grating the soap is a pain, but I think it's worth it. Cost for me I believe was less than $2 for 10 gal (you mix it with 1/2 water when you refill).